Wednesday, February 07, 2018

Tragic Thursday

Heartbreak Reads - A Week's Worth of Weepies


It's funny how I feel sure that there are some brilliant stories about heartbreak out there and yet it's been a struggle to remember any. Finding seven for the week's theme was an uphill task. Do you have a favourite - a short story that was heartbreaking?


Read

 I was anxious about The Scarlet Ibis by James Hurst. Hurst seems to be a one story wonder. The short story is not hard to find online and is highly acclaimed. Read! 


Listen

There is a close bond between poetry and songs. Verse has music inherent. And most songs are poetic.  
Quite a few are vintage but there's enough for all manner of heartbreak including the epic Gloria Gaynor - which wins my vote!



This one below is new to me and I find an easy lyrical quality about it.

Sinéad O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2U


Adele - Rolling in the Deep


Browse

While I can only recognize Eat, Pray, Love and The Alchemist, I find it a handy list as it seems to include some non-fiction.  

"a practical guide to help you through every day"


"losing your 4-year old child must be one of the most devastating things"


"a breath of fresh air that stirs up a lot of mixed emotions"

"no-nonsense, practical guide on how to survive a breakup"

Now, Friday gets a bit quirky with some graphic art in lieu of short story. A sampling of Wendy Cope - what I read I thoroughly enjoyed. And, though it's not the thirteenth, I boldly offer thirteen books as heartbreak therapy. 

No comments: