Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Merry Monday

On Writer Rites I flagged off the Love week with a look at humour in romance. I have a weakness for this. Nothing pleases me so much as romantic laughter. The laughter of lovers. Our laughter at lovers. Romantic partners share secret jokes but, what is more cute, they tend to smile or emit a stifled laugh even when alone. However, beyond these, there lies a whole world of possibilities for laughter at the antics of lovers and the peculiar pitfalls that can befall them.

My favourite was Georgette Heyer and I dare any fan of the humour in romance genre to be immune to her ability to incite giggles. If I weren't determined to discover new writings, I'd re-read a whole lot of Heyers with pleasure. Nothing like loading your Kindle with a few or all of her regency romances on a long leisurely holiday. They would also be fantastic gifts for the bedridden - bound to cheer up the gloomiest day. Yet I am virtuously offering you five books, none of which I have read as yet. They will go towards my holiday reading list.



Read

Find Learning Gertrud by Elnathan John on Writer Rites. Though it did make me smile, I do wish I had a really hilarious romantic short story for you - please do tell me, in the comments section below, if you know of any.


Listen

Robert reads "The Orange" by Wendy Cope

Browse






Tomorrow is a bit of a heavy package with a list of hundred books, a Margaret Atwood and a very highly rated short story.

No comments: