Sunday, February 04, 2018

Maudlin Monday

Heartbreak Reads - A Week's Worth of Weepies


As some of you know I maintain a page on Facebook where I share, each day, an article of literary interest, a short story and a poem. Overtime I began to choose these on the basis of themes. But then it eventually became a strain to find, each day, a set of three samples on one theme. I plodded on womanfully for a long time but I have now decided to try a theme per week to be kinder on myself.

As it transpires, the first week in this new regime is themed on Heartbreak. Now, as to why I am launching the newborn on such a gloomy note, we cannot but agree that literature and heartbreak have a close bond.

Read

A Little Kitten  is Kamala Das’s short story on marital infidelity. Love betrayed is a major cause of heartbreak in literature across time and space. 



Listen

Relatively unknown, Nikita Gill's poems strike a chord for the heartbroken. Here's one: The Sound of Heartbreak. In the video below, a young person recites a Nikita Gill - I was quite taken up with it and hope you too find pleasure in the art of relishing verse.




Browse

9 Truly Heartbreaking Books About Love And Loss For Readers Who Prefer A Different Kind Of Romantic Story.

The list has several YA titles but also boasts a Murakami




and at least one novel that has been filmed. The trailer certainly makes me want to watch the movie! It sounds like such a cute romance but I can also see the need for a big box of tissues to stifle the sad-happy sobs.



 On that note, look forwards to Tearful Tuesday - something that was considered so very heartbreakingly romantic in my youth, a set of songs for the broken hearted and another nine books to browse. 

No comments: